Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ooh yay let's talk some more about Riku and Namine being telepathic!

Alright, so KKBeckett asked:

Why are Riku and Namine telepathic? I feel like it's always been something
that just IS, but it's not, because they're just now coming to realize it now.
What changed? Why now? Why ever?

~

As for the why, I do believe I sorta answered that here (in my first post about them being telepathic).
technically, that post would sort of get into why it's just now coming up, but I have another reason

I suppose it technically is something that just... has always been there between them, because they've been at least semi-telepathic since the Truth Hurts. However, it hasn't been until about now (I think ch130 was when it first came up?) that they started being telepathic to this extent.
Because, yeah, they couldn't sense what was on each other's minds (or Namine could sense what was on Riku's), and there's always been that little connection between them, but they've never been able to actually hear each other's thoughts before. 

And, it certainly is new for Riku. His side of the connection has always been weaker, so he's experienced the telepathy to only a minor extent, while Namine's been hearing Riku's thoughts off and on for at least the past two weeks.

(Also Riku's probably a little flustered because, uhm, wow I'm really close to Namine :P)

So, yeah, they've always been a little telepathic, but never before have they actually communicated telepathically, which is why it throws Riku for a loop.

As for what changed and why now?

Well, my first post discussing them being telepathic gets into that. The current theory is that Edd ended up blocking that ability from Namine back in the Truth Hurts, and it's only just now slipping through the blocks. The other explanation I can think of is that it, like all other magical abilities, just takes some time to develop and flesh out fully, so while you may know the basics of it, over time you learn more about it and other things you can do with it.

(I only really have two theories because I am very apprehensive about making anything involving Edd canon for some reason)

And then, why ever?

Well, I'm assuming you want the out-of-story explanation... (the in-story one was given in the first post discussing this).

I just... there's always been a connection between them. Ever since Falling to Pieces. So them being flat out telepathic was something that came easily, and something that felt completely natural. For the life of me, I can't even remember when or why I decided to go with it, because they've been telepathic in my head for a long time now--it's only just showing up in-story.

To be honest, the telepathy wasn't supposed to even show up until book 5 (or post book 5. One of those two) but, I figured, if they were going to be full-out telepathic in book 5, then they'd need to discover the ability (considering it's not something that's been always there--or at least they weren't aware of it before, if it was) and they'd need to develop the ability and learn how it worked. Why shouldn't I cover it in Dead Inside?
we are getting close to the end, after all. It takes only another month of in-story time.

So, yeah.

I think that's everything.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

2 comments:

KKBeckett said...

Ha! I knew you had talked about it... I just, couldn't remember/couldn't find/was crazy the whole thing. Anyway, so they're just telepathic. Is this one of those things that characters do just because? And you're like, 'okay, whatever?' Regardless, fun to see, honestly.

rar said...

That's fine! I didn't mind talking about it again. (For future reference, though, maybe check the important posts page, or under the important stuff label. Posts like this usually end up there.)
If by that you mean they went "we're gonna be telepathic" and I just decided it was easier not to argue with them, then, yeah. That's pretty much what happened.