Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Riku and Namine are telepathic?

This is technically a reply to Flightfoot's review on ch137.

Also technically, the telepathy first showed itself (though briefly) in ch130.

It's taken so long to manifest itself because the telepathy is mainly one-sided; Namine's more connected to Riku's mind than he is to hers (if you followed that). And there were a lot of things that Edd blocked from her mind during the Truth Hurts, the telepathy was probably one of them (though he may not have realized it was there, and thus blocked it by sheer accident).

So, it's taken a bit to show itself because the ability hadn't quite slipped past Edd's blocks yet.

That, or it's actually been there the entire time, and Namine's just now becoming conscious of it.

I don't know. It's one of those two explanations (though I'm leaning more towards the first...)

Anyway, so, why is Namine telepathic? I'm not positive, Edd gave me some explanation but I don't quite remember the details and it might not me accurate. But, it's similar to how magik's Namine can see memories; my Namine can just hear thoughts. Edd may or may not have some part in this... (the explanation he gave me had something to do with his magic rubbing off on her, due to his meddling, but I'm not sure if I like the idea enough to make it canon).
Technically, Namine can hear other people's thoughts besides Riku's, but she has to put effort into it. Eavesdropping on Riku's thoughts just comes naturally to her, lol.

However, even though the telepathy is mainly one-sided, all connections are two-way (as Colin has so graciously informed me) so Riku can hear Namine's thoughts, provided he puts effort into it.

... you know what? I"m just going to post the conversation between Edd and Namiku concerning this (though it technically probably takes place later, when they've both become aware of the telepathy) because I think Edd explains it better (and he's funny)

though, to be honest, I think I've summed it all up, but whatever


Edd: Can’t you leave a dead man in peace!?
Namine: we’d like to know about exactly why we can communicate telepathically.
Riku: Actually, I’d like to know why I can’t on a consistent basis.
Namine: You’re sort of the expert.
Edd: *sighs* Uhm *rubs his head*
Namine: do you know?
Edd: Give me a sec… Namine.
Namine: Yeah?
Edd: No. You’re the answer to the question.
Namine: Me?
Riku: What question?
Edd: Both of them. She’s got a—uh… a…  She has the ability to form telepathic links or connections with pretty much anyone. The links – or connections – are easier to form with certain people than they are with others. Like you *nods at Riku* You’re – you. And that makes the connection almost habitual: second nature.
Namine: And that means…?
Edd: That, provided the connection is established, you can hear all of Riku’s thoughts. Or most of them. And as I said, the connection’s become second nature to you, so it’s almost always established.
Riku: Okay, I get why Namine can hear my thoughts. But why can I hear hers? This seems like something that only she should be able to do.
Edd: All connections are two way: you’ll be able to hear her thoughts if you try hard enough, or if she’s sending them to you.
Riku: Sounds like I got the short end of the stick
Edd: If you want to hear her thoughts, then just keep trying. Eventually, the effort won’t seem like much and will become second nature for you, too.
Namine: Do you know why I can do this?
Edd: *shrugs* There’s plenty of possible reasons. There’s something that happened in your data – whether it be from paradoxes, my meddling, or just all the crap your data’s been through. Or, I guess, I could’ve rubbed off on you…
Namine: What do you mean?
Edd: I have this ability, too; though it’s much stronger than yours. And my magic wasn’t very… stable, while I was helping build you. It could’ve contaminated you.
Riku: Is that bad? Dangerous?
Edd: If that’s the only ability of mine she’s got, then no. It’s not. I would recommend avoiding establishing a connection with people you don’t trust or aren’t close to, though. In fact, it’d probably be best if you avoid establishing a connection with anyone besides Riku, unless it’s necessary. You wouldn’t want to deal with this power if it got out of hand.
Namine: could it? Get out of hand?
Edd: It shouldn’t. But if you did pick up the ability from me, then there is a chance it could develop into something like I have. However, I think if it was going to, it would’ve already. Better not risk it, though. That all?
Riku: Yeah, I think so.
Namine: Thank you!
Edd: yeah. You’ll be back when the novelty’s worn off and you want to know how to block each other out.


Anyway, yeah...

I think that's all

If it's not/you have questions, just let me know/ask!

7 comments:

Caitlin said...

Why are all of Edd's blocks wearing off?

rar said...

because... they were sort of designed to, I believe. He was mainly blocking all the paradox-y stuff, and those blocks were built to wear of when the paradox-y stuff was no longer paradox-y. Did that make sense?
(Though, there is the less complicated option, and that's because he's dead.)

Caitlin said...

The second one is quite fair. Though the first one does make sense.

KKBeckett said...

I am both excited and disturbed by the idea of the two of them being telepathic.

rar said...

Those are a mix of emotions I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with...

KKBeckett said...

I am excited because it makes me oddly happy for them to be telepathic. I am disturbed because it is oddly scary for the two of them to be telepathic.

rar said...

Ah