Wednesday, February 24, 2016

ATR ch58 - In which Leon gets a phonecall

Wow!! Things!!

Not FtPverse related

- Twilight Princess HD comes out in, just over a week??? In 9 days????

- I wrote this post about why Twilight Princess means as much to me as it does. Check it out.

- My birthday is in just under 2 weeks and hhheeeeck yeah


FtPverse related

Update Schedule - I'm!! I'm biting the bullet, and potentially relieving stress from myself. All that Remains will, from here on out, update every other week. I'll shoot for every other Wednesday, because schedules like that work when they're two weeks apart, but, we'll see. I'll try.

Between not wanting to take another hiatus, writing being slower than usual, and not having a buffer at, um, all. Well. It seems to take me around a week, sometimes a full two, to write a chapter. I don't have a buffer, and would like to avoid a hiatus because this would be the third, and posting a chapter 3 months after you wrote it is exhaaausting. 

So. Every other week. I won't stop FtPverse (and, I won't ever, until it's done), but, the extremely frequent updates we were all used to are going to have to stop. I simply can't crank out chapters as fast as I used to anymore. ((And, I really dread what that's gonna look like when I start college / get a job, sweats.))

ANYWAY.


ASAS things!

I've uploaded, uh, three chapters?? Wowie.

ASAS ch94 - I saw fanart on tumblr of Aqua with scars and immediately went "wait what the heck how did I never consider that" so my response was to write a scene. Seven years of constantly fighting Heartless will do that to you, regardless of how careful you are. ((This also borrows a headcanon from this one Ventus askblog about Ven having scars....))

ASAS ch95 - this goes w/ this chapter!! It's a short snippet of the scene from Vexen's POV, because I need to practice my Vexen voice.

ASAS ch96 - a forgotten mystery scene??? This is a companion piece to ATRch54, detailing the whole "Sora can feel Ven" thing except.... from Ven's POV, because of course, he can feel Sora for the same reasons.


~ Chapter time! ~

[ Read here ]

[ Chapter tag ]

Overall I'm pretty happy with this chapter. The phonecall was fun, it was nice to see Joseph again, I don't think I could possibly be prouder of that ending.......




I had the Rinoa phonecall planned for, um, a while, but I moved it here, specifically, at the last moment. 

Before, it was its own scene in HB and required an awkward Riku eavesdropping outside Leon’s door and this one is much better because a) that isn’t necessary now  b) Rinoa can talk to Aerith too

They still have flip phones they still have flip phones they still have

Important Notes

“he’s family now” Aerith butts in, and, gosh, the thought of her being so excited to tell Rinoa this is killin me!!!! her being excited to talk to Rinoa is so good!!!!!
(Riku blushes super hard, honestly)


Rinoa says "sorry I didn't respond to your letters" plural and I know technically Leon’s only every canonically sent her one, but, look it’s been three months since that. I think Aerith may have sent one too. In fact, I’m pretty sure she did. Maybe they both sent more than one letter, but the plural of letters is kind of just to imply Aerith also sent a letter. That’s all that really matters to me.


[KICKS DOWN YOUR DOOR] AERITH/LEON SIBLINGS IS SOOOOOO GOOOD!!!! AERITH/LEON/RINOA DYNAMIC IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!

I love “hey Aerith did you know your brother was such a sap?” soooooo much


I really do love Riku and I feel really bad for putting him in a position where he feels like he’s excluded or out of place or unwanted but I also gotta capture that feeling of “this phonecall isn’t for me I don’t know this person but I’m still in the room and I don’t really have a reason to say anything but I can hear the entire conversation so I just”


I had to do a little forcing to get the “do you want me to say hi to laguna for you?” in but it’s actually, um, important, so

I almost had Riku go “this is the most I’ve heard Leon emote ever?? It’s nice???” but then decided I didn’t want to say Leon Never Emotes because in ftpverse (and, kh) he’s a lot better than he is in ff8, so, like.

This is the most natural Leon’s felt for me, like, ever, but, I don’t want to restrict myself to saying “he only emotes well when goofing off with Rinoa” because a) that’s dumb b) it kinda?? invalidates?? The idea that since he and aerith are siblings he’d be comfortable and goof off or at least relax / emote around her, like, lmao



As a reference for Joseph's boomerang: think Hope’s boomerang in FF13 but, smaller. And also it can be a shield. Hope's can't do that (and is, like, the size of him for some reason??)

Things I didn’t get, and, it’s Fine:

- Joseph asking why Aerith and Leon were also there, to which he might have said: “tho I mean I guess since they’re your family now it’s no surprise. I’d want 29 with me probably if I were dealing w/ something like this”

- Joseph asking about Namine (there was no room, I had to cut them off EVENTUALLY, sorry Namine)

- uh, this bit about waiting in the main room vs in with even, WHOOPS

“ok why are you waiting like out here tho instead of in with Even?” Joseph asks
“don’t want to distract him, also he, suggested, it,” Riku responds
“really????? does he think he’ll get distracted????”
“I think he thought it’d be better if we waited somewhere more comfortable”
“I think I rather would’ve waited somewhere where I could’ve found out immediately than having to sit somewhere else and come be told” Josephs says (I cry) “but I guess I get his point.”


I channeled “Jerry came too” vibes so hard for Vexen’s introduction here

Vexen kept being snippy with all of his responses and I was really worried that was out of character and that I'd forgotten his voice (since it's been 30 chapters, that's kind of fair) so I had to do a quick practice for him. I uploaded that as ASASch95..

Vexen didn’t stop being irritated but I figured out why he was irritated at least so we’re fine. we’re fine.

A fun thing of note: Vexen reads Riku’s “really, you can fix me?” as skepticism and more lack of care to the fact he’s about to die than anything else, [[“Really?” he asked, like he didn’t believe it, because of course he wouldn’t]]

And, I'm laughing a little because Vexen's wrong, but also he has no way to know that because Riku acts a very certain way around Vexen. It's a purposeful mask of sarcasm and pretending not to care. He would not let Vexen know how much the thought of dying bugged him unless he had to, so, Vexen would assume Riku’s just as—well, not suicidal, but as uncaring about the prospect of death as he used to be.


REALIZES I GET TO PARALLEL HOW VEXEN CARES FOR RIKU AND HOW AERITH/LEON CARE FOR RIKU RIGHT FRIKKEN NEXT TO EACH OTHER

REALIZES I GET TO PARALLEL HOW RIKU FEELS ABOUT EACH OF THESE PEOPLE WHO CARE FOR HIM RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER

SCREAMS AND HOLLERS BECAUSE I DIDN’T REALIZE I WAS GONNA GET THIS BUT I’M SOOOOOO GLAD also I’m going to cry. Thinking about Riku thinking about how much Aerith and Leon care about him is gonna make me cry!!!!!



Also I’m soooooooooo proud of this ending B))))

No comments: