Saturday, February 28, 2015

Nothing's Fair ch19-23

But first, an update on my life.

I've started playing Majora's Mask recently, and it's actually really good!! Not that I entirely expected any less? I've had the game for like five years but had to quit like an hour into playing it because the time limit was making me REALLY anxious. Of course, I realize now, it takes the full three days to get your ocarina back whether you want it to or not, so it really doesn't matter how long it takes you to do everything else.

Of course, I'm playing the N64 version--I know the 3DS version has better graphics, and potentially better controls and bug fixes (along with some neat easter eggs), but I don't have thirty bucks to drop on a remaster of a game I already own.

"But. What about. The KH remixes?" LOOK! Okay. Final Mix additions are a whole different story. And, honestly, in hindsight, if I'd known the Days movie would be as bad as it was, I wouldn't have gotten 1.5, because KH1FM isn't really worth it?? Extra cutscenes are nice, but it only had, uh, five extra bosses and the only memorable one was Xemnas.

KH2FM though was??? Wow worth it. There's like ten extra fully voiced scenes, along with like 20+ extra bosses, and even puzzle collecting and completing Jiminy's Journal (a requirement for unlocking the secret ending.....) were FUN. Infuriating at times, yeah, but over all, REALLY FUN.


Anyway, Majora's Mask has been pretty fun so far!! It might be a while before I finish it, but my plans to play Mother 1 have been well put off because of it...... Whoops?




I've been sitting on this mix for a while--not that it's mine, I've just been sitting on sharing it!! Enjoy.

Nothing's Fair Chapters

Chapter 19

Chapter 20 (tag)

Chapter 21

Chapter 22

Chapter 23

NFRW Tag for where we are, currently


Chapter commentary


Chapter 19

I WAS GOING TO HAVE R BE LIKE “uhhhhhhhhh it’s been a very busy week” and then 7 be like “I gave you Xion’s data to look at a month ago” but it’s actually only been a week sooo

Which is unfortunate, but, well, nothing I can do


Chapter 20

It’s not making it in but when Roxas goes back up to get ice cream for “another friend” the ice cream lady definitely asks if it’s for the girl she always sees him with

This was good:

Saix is like
“WELL. I SUPPOSE SINCE WE’RE ALL HERE I SHOULD BRIG IT UP. TIES HAVE BEEN CUT WITH CO. DO NOT VISIT. DO NOT KEEP CONTACT. YOU ARE IN A LOT OF TROUBLE IF YOU DO” w/ a very pointed look at Roxas bc no one else really went there

“we’re not all here though” someoe points out
“well Xemnas didn’t need to be and Xigbar already knows SO I MEAN WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME”


This is one of the chapters that I was Really Feeling

Also I’m p proud of the org member’s attitudes, I feel they’re pretty accurate!! ‘specially Demyx’s


Chapter 21

I’M CHANNELING DATA ROXAS INTO ROXAS RN SO BAD BUT I MEAN
ROXAS CAN BE
P CRUEL SOMETIMES
THE ORGANIZATION COULDN’T HAVE RAISED HIM ANOTHER WAY

Uhhh there was notes here to discuss Roxas/Riku cruelty comparison stuff but if you're new to FtPverse it actually includes spoilers for Dead Inside (which I severely hope I have not discussed in previous NFRW commentaries, but, uh, too late now).

Anyway, I think it's interesting notes / discussion, and if you have already read Dead Inside, you can find the comparison here, on my tumblr. 


A lot of my notes for this were like “well Xion should be incoherent” but it wasn’t until I was in the groove of writing it that it became clear to me HOW to portray that, and how to make it work, etc

Like I did that all on the fly I had no preplanning for her incoherency, really
I’m feelin pretty good about it

Heartless are disappearing because of the Tentaclaw, I mean, Leechgrave. Yes, we are that far along. Dead Inside starts no later than two months from now, if not only one month (one and a half, I’d wager, maybe, I’ll have to work out the timeline)

I love the idea of Xion being thoroughly convinced they just got there the entire time that was a good one

I was REALLY FEELING her incoherency


Chapter 22

I contemplated long and hard sticking the full scene of Joseph finding out about his friends in here, but then decided, nah

Like if I’d REALLY needed to repost it, if it had covered something more relevant to Roxas and Xion, I would have, without a doubt

And I’m not trying to say Joseph is unimportant I’m just saying that reposting the bit about him finding about his friends when I can cover how distraught he is in the next chapter ((and when most fans already know how it goes down)) seems a little dumb

Also: timing wise, in the sadorable chapter, it’s probably been a little less than “a few weeks” since Joseph got the N64, seeing as his birthday was ch20. I’m feeling a week and a half, maybe two, but no more than two
I’ll be sure when I do the timeline

I re-read through my outline and saw that I had Xion calling Riku a monster and I winced, but, yanno, of course I’m keeping it

Initially Joseph was supposed to punch Riku in the face buuuuuut it uh. It didn’t feel like Joesph when all Riku said was an insensitive “oh I thought it was quieter” and nothing crueler. I’d have to REALLY push to get Joseph to the point of violence, and even if Riku is cruel, he is not that cruel


The constant battle between “this is how Riku and Joseph are acting here are all their little twitches and body language” and “BUT XION DOESN’T REALLY NOTICE ANY OF THEM”


This didn’t make it in but it’s good (from Roxas POV)

If Xion could still summon her Keyblade, he wouldn’t doubt she’d have summoned it with how she was acting. It was a surprise she hadn’t punched Riku in the face—then again, where had he gotten that blackening eye?


“Joseph doesn’t know what’s wrong with Xion??” well, I only specified he knew Xion EXISTED, nothing more


Chapter 23

I don’t remember what Axel’s involvement with the rebellion was before Roxas’s death according Can’t Escape, but whatever it was, I’m retconning it.
Axel doesn’t help the Rebellion until it suits his own personal goals, doesn’t help the Rebellion until he has a reason of spite to do it (tho admittedly, his reasons for helping MIGHT come down to honoring Roxas’s memory, because Roxas wanted to before he died)


Anyway, I've had this scene w/ Xion falling written... for a while... and it was one of the like five scenes I was really feeling when I'd initially PLANNED the NFRW. Though, I think, for a bit there, I was considering not putting it in? But it does not only solidify Xion's feelings on death, but also expands the AkuRokuShi dynamic which.... really.... hasn't been getting a lot of love

It was probably obvious, but if it wasn't, the Vexen that Xion mentions is magik's Vexen, who shows up within the first six chapters of Can't Escape. 



No comments: