Thursday, January 15, 2015

ATR ch18 commentary

I'm going to make this coherent as possible and not blab at extreme length about my new goal for 2015--or I won't blab at extreme length in this post, I'll blab later

I've started a new project for 2015, which is #kairineedslove2k15. I'm hoping to make the tag trend on tumblr, though I'd love for it to trend on other sites as well. (I just... don't use any of those other sites..... and am not sure how to go about making one only for kairi appreciation)

Anyway, like I said, I won't go into length about the project in this post, it deserves its own--but check out my kairi appreciation 2015 tumblr blog, eh?


Chapter Time!!! Yes already

Read chapter 18 here

ATR ch18 tag

ATR Larxene sequence tag

Magik's side, which is from Axel's POV, and is actually of some interest because it's more than a paragraph related to this sequence is here at Remnants ch73.
((JK her other chapters are of interest it's not just this one))




This is a collection of music I basically listened to non-stop while writing this sequence, but I was waiting until this chapter to post it.

((Though, I actually had another set of creepy video game tracks but..... they didn't work so well together in an 8tracks mix so..... that playlist never got posted))

Anyway, actually, you should probably read magik's side of this, because in my side Riku's too busy with other things to pay attention to the battle so you get only a ~vague summary~. Magik's side will give you an actual look at it.

Also I'm cackling over what Axel thinks about Vexen.




Highlights of Axel on Vexen:

  • "He noticed Vexen twitch. Whatever at this point."
  • "As an afterthought, he figured lighting the battlefield on fire would be unfair to Vexen, too. But no one cared about Vexen."
  • "Stop throwing your ice where I'm throwing my fire and we wouldn't have this problem!"
On that vein:


rar:  i also forgot to mention in my email but i remember thinking that some point in the battle (or just during the entire thing) Axel's fire keeps getting in the way of Vexen's ice and melting it
rar: which leads to a lot of yelling on Vexen's end and probably just amusement on Axel's
magik:  that should totes happen
magik: omg
magik: that's amazing




AAAAANNYYYY WAYYYYYY back to like the beginning of the chapter notes

Well I can't say this is my favorite chapter but I do.... I do certainly like this one a lot.

Giddy Riku was a lot of fun to write.

His stream of consciousness was also a lot of fun to write/emulate. Like A LOT of fun.

I love? I love how Namine Cures Aerith and Aerith just laughs like "wow I can't believe I forgot to Cure Riku" and swings her staff, bangs it against the ground, initiating some Large Healing Attack that she can do.

I just.... I really love that part.


Also I hope for Aerith's sake that staff wasn't metal because metal + lighting THOOOUUUGHHH actually I thought about it some more and I'm pretty sure Aerith's staffs like in game have protection parts of leather or something where she's supposed to grab it. Those would serve not just as grip but also as protection so you don't get burned or electrocuted....

Because, yanno, metal is the best conductor of elements, after all.


Okay but when I play FF games (or when I played 7) I really RARELY bothered with barrier spells unless guides suggested them

It’s not my style of fighting

Which is funny considering how often I prioritize health over strength?? (a lot of problems I ran into in my younger gaming days involved me having ALL THE HEALTH which was GREAT but I didn’t have enough strength to really face the boss so it was all survival and Not Very Fun)


But in FF at least I worried a lot more about attacking than defense—minus the obvious cure to keep my party alive


During the bit where Namine and Riku argue (the "Are you gonna fight?" "Oh you're gonna let me this time?") I had "Lilo" by Lauren Aquilina stuck in my head and played it on near endless repeat while I wrote that bit.
((As a note, the song is kinda... messed up..... which is kinda funny considering it came off the same album as "King" which is such an uplifting song?? but all other songs on that album have a mood similar to "Lilo" and...?????))


"I want to know why you're mad at me" *grabs Riku by the shoulders* THEN YOU SHOULD’VE!!! BEEN PAYING!!! ATTENTION!!! SHE’S TOLD YOU WHY SHE’S UPSET ALREADY OR SHE’S HINTED PRETTY HEAVILY AT IT IF YOU’D JUST!! PAID!!! ATTENTION!!

But Namine puts herself in front of Riku before even tossing up the spell. Protect him first then protect herself oh wait. oh no. that h u r t s



No comments: