Monday, July 14, 2014

Crying about SoShad (ch231 commentary)

Here I am to ruin everyone with SoShad feels you ready?

I am



This is the AMV I made for the SoShad battle. Don't worry. the Namiku battle gets one too

all art can be found here

except this one picture of Sora smiling

The rest are recolored manga panels colored by me personally

If you need music suggestions there's the entire mix I made for this battle, or very specifically the songs in the ch231 tag (I hate everything about you, King for a Day, and Props & Mayhem)

Or if you need songs with no lyrics
this string quartet cover of Linkin Park's Crawling (and potentially the rest of the album?)
or Tragic Dragon by TSFH

There's also this beautiful song--The Deer, by Woodkid--but after like the first minute it stops with the somber tone this chapter needs




full size

I saw this Softer World picture... for like... Chell and Glados... like three months ago. I couldn't not. It's so accurate. And horribly painful. And

you can find the original here--and if you want the tumblr version it'll be somewhere in the ch231 tag. sometime. Idk how soon I want to post it because it's sorta spoilers? and I can't put this under a cut on tumblr (tho of all things to be spoiled this is slightly minor and if no one saw it coming I. I don't know what to tell them. I've been talking about SoShad for ages)

Chapter Time

read

tumblr tag

And

Yeah

Shad loves Sora and I’m not even shying away from it and this probably explains a lot. especially why I ship them. Because when one character falls head over heels for another it’s really really hard not to support it even if the love is unrequited (see: replinami)

And I just think. it’s really neat. And I’m really really really really excited and in love with the idea in so many ways that words cannot adequately express

Because, initially, shad was going to change because of Kairi. she was going to taint him just as he had tainted her. But someone called me out on it like 50 chapters in and I kinda fell out of love with the idea over time (not necessary because someone noticed it though)
Plus I got ruined by brother feels in general and Colin and Cole happened (which I’d initially based off of Shad and Sora so it was no surprise that they bled back into soshad)

And I realized that while I could do this another way, I didn’t want to. I didn’t want to. I wanted so bad for this to happen and I was going to write Shad as loving Sora anyway why not bring it up 
PLUS HIM AND SORA YELLING ABOUT IT IS MY FAVORITE THING like it didn’t make it in—no surprise—but I had this snippet idea of them shouting at each other during the battle:

           OKAY BUT JUST THE THOUGHT
OF THE ENTIRE SOSHAD BATTLE
SORA JUST KEEPS GOING
“because you lovem e”
“I DO NOT”
“ad mit it you love me”
“I DO’T I DON’TI DON’T I DON’T’”
“just get it over with already and say it you love me”
“I DO NOT!!! LOVE!!! YOU!!!”
“c’mon”
“I DON’T I DON’T I DON’T!!”
And hes jumping up and down throwing a fit over it
“omg what are you?? five??”’
“I DON’T LOVE YOU I HATE YOU I FUCKING HATE YOU”
“glad to hear that but no you don’t”
“YES!! I DO!!!!”
“this isn’t helping your case dude”
“I DO NOT!! NEVER HAVE!! LOVED YOU!!!”
“you’re in denial”
“SHUUUUT!!! UPP!!!”

And gosh it was brilliant I loved it it was literally the best thought it is literally the best thought and

And the point of fanfics are to be self indulgent and dammit I’d regret it so much if this didn’t go in. I don’t care if the story’s better without it. I don’t. care. You can’t make me. You can’t make me care you can’t make me regret putting this in I’m in love with it and the idea because it’s great


It is so great and I love it so much


BACKING UP I WAS TALKING ABOUT WHAT WAS INITIALLY GONNA HAPPEN and I got sidetracked

My next idea after changing it from Kairi being what changed Shad

Is that Sora changed Shad—Shad ended up bound to Sora, like the wolf is bound to him (an idea I brought up but admittedly am not going to carry out in full)

I mean, Sora probably still changed Shad—his essence bled into Shad like Shad’s was supposed to bleed into him. That didn’t change.
(it’s admittedly an idea I ripped straight from Stupid Mario Brothers. The darkness—Mario’s shadow—changed because Mario’s essence, Mario’s heart, was so strong that it changed the darkness from the inside out and made him mellow and gain empathy and so on. that’s exactly what happened here)

But somewhere along the way Shad fell head over heels in love with Sora. I don’t know why. I don’t care why. Maybe it’s the only way he knows how to articulate his dependence on Sora. He writes it off as love because he has no idea what else to call it

Who knows. I don’t care.

Shad fell head over heels in love with Sora
He did

He really honestly did


“Disgust wasn’t something you could expel from your lungs” hhghansfkjelrjlsdfnntttgddddd that line kills me

Gosh just

all of this kills me

Everything about SoShad kills me

The fact that Shad thinks death is the better option here the fact that he loves Sora so much and hates him for it the fact that Sora has no idea how to process Sora's death let alone be comfortable with the idea of killing Shad 
even if it's not in cold blood it being a favor isn't something he can swallow any easier
He just helped his Shadow commit suicide

It's not something Sora's gonna have an easy time stomaching


ALSO ALSO ALSO PROPS AND MAYHEM MAKES ME SO EMOTIONAL ABOUT THE END OF THE BATTLE like it's such a vague song but the one line the "I'm gonna light up this place and explode into beautiful stars" and it
it doesn't seem like a Shad line but it makes me emotional because just the idea of him dying and the emotion in his voice ahhhhhhhhh and the fact that he does technically,,, explode,,, into stars.... ha

Gosh and King for a Day is really bad too because just the whole thing "You told me to think about it? Well I did. I don't want to feel a thing anymore"
Sora tries to talk Shad out of it but Shad's just like NO. NO I'M DONE FEELING LIKE THIS
also there are so many other lines like there is a reason why that song was used for the AMV
"So sick of playing, I don't want to anymore"
"You want a mayrtr? I'll be one"

sighs deeply
(and I don't even have to explain I Hate Everything About You because. It's so obvious. "I hate everything about you. So why do I love you?")


I was a wreck after writing this too because. I mean. I just killed Shad. I just killed Shad. I just killed him I just killed my favorite character and it shakes me up
Sora was shaken up Shad was in tears he was so upset he was so done and Sora was so upest he didn't want to deal with this but he had to
halsjflsjfsdf
I'm still a wreck
This chapter wasn't fun to write

omg

I could keep going with commentary for the chapter but like

I wanna post some pictures

'

this is by paopuart on tumblr who... apparently deleted their blog :(

This was like the only picture I could stand as my desktop background while writing this but..... it's really good...

as for pictures I used in the AMV (all by this person)


I.... I really like this one.... don't look at me

and of course the famous




I actually found the first of "Shad"/Vanitas like aaaaages ago and had it saved to reblog when we got to endgame
and then I went to look at the source and the Sora pic was in the same set of pictures and in context together it's like they're fighting and hahshflsjfdsfj yeah

yeah

I also reaaaaaaaaally like this picture of Vanitas (by karatou) even though it's not even relevant to this chapter


but anyway

back to the chapter

I feel kinda bad for not letting Shad’s final disappearance be the last bit of this chapter but the thing with Mickey about Xemnas needed to happen

AND I’M GOING TO BE HONEST!! I didn't want to do a second Xemnas battle and honestly Riku and Roxas probably could've finished him off on their own no problem but. Kingdom Hearts is still hanging in the sky. What are they supposed to do about that? It only became a non-issue in kh2 after Xemnas fused with it and they defeated Xemnas

Sooooooooooooooo Xemnas needs to fuse with it here and there needs to be a second battle otherwise it’s still hanging up in the sky and That’s Bad

mmhmm

I think I'm going to go lay down

No comments: