Saturday, February 16, 2013

I'm baackk!! (commentary on ch140 (of Dead Inside, what else?))

Ugh, chapter title. I hate having to find chapter titles. Why don't I have one already picked out??

In the mean time, though




here's that video I promised you

Wonderful video. Just. Yeah.

TO ZEE CHAPTAAA

that so wasn't... me... that didn't feel like somethiing I would say. Oh well.
"That line's not you" "Had to try it once, y'know"

right

so

chapter time!!

oh waittzz

I should go hunt down a chapter title... *sighs*

Hmm... "Hymn for the Missing"... why not? It's fitting, yeah? Yeah. 'course it is.

Now, to my notes!!

Kairi gets talkative at the oddest moments.

Why do I say that?

I wrote the nightmare New Year's eve (early New Year's morning...?) after watching How to Train Your Dragon. Because... Idk. It just came to me, and you don't argue with inspiration. Trust me. Bad idea.

"He'd always been a faster runner"--this actually reminds me of a Spanish song. Almost immediately. Is that a good thing?
"De los dos tu siempre fuiste el mas veloz"

And, did you know, that it's actually possible to feel like your lungs are on fire? It's not just some fancy metaphor it's actually a simile that authors use to convey the idea of running for too long. Of course, having your lungs feel like that is typically a result of running too much/for extended periods of time (especially when you're not used to running), but it's a real feeling. Not a fancy metaphor.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Also, if you haven't learned this by now, me and blood... have a complex relationship. This nightmare was actually a bit gorier in my head, but I try sometimes not to go too overboard with the blood. Haha.

"You're next, Roxas. I have to make you a part of me too."

Haha. My notes. I love the notes I leave to myself, really. Anyway, so, I wrote down a good portion of this scene New Year's... early morning, writing I think up to about the point where Tifa decides to call Cloud. Roughly. My memory isn't perfect.

Anyway, my notes say (after coming back to the scene):
"Reading back over this, now, not entirely remembering what was going through my mind while I was writing it, I wonder if I had the dream sequence with Kairi chasing Sora connect to Kairi’s “chasing Sora isn’t working!” thing. I don’t think I did. That might’ve been coincidental, but it certainly connects. I love my subconscious sometimes."

The phonecall between Tifa and Cloud actually went completely differently, and actually involve the two of them yelling at each other for a bit until Cloud was finally like "Tifa, this is why I don't answer my phone!"
I couldn't make it flow, though, so it was scrapped. Not quickly scrapped, but scrapped.

Somewhere in here... not sure where, I wanted to type "chortles" instead of "laughter". my notes say so I HAVE CHORTLES!! Ahaha, sorry, that's a Fawful thing. If you've played any of the Mario and Luigi games for the DS (like Bowser's Inside Story), then you'll remember Fawful. (and, techncially, that was two Mario villian references. I laughed like Dimentio. Ahahaha.)

Yup.

Kairi! Stop asking personal questions!

There was a side tangent about Cloud staying in Hollow Bastion that got cut for... I think it just didn't flow.
Here's said tangent (Tifa's speaking):
"Uhm… a few years, at least. I can’t remember exactly how many. Really, the last time he’s stayed in one place for a long amount of time was when Sephiroth was still around. Given how injured he tended to get during his battles with Sephiroth, it was easier to just stay in Hollow Bastion, where Aerith could heal him. I might not be bad at healing, but I certainly don’t do Cloud any good if I’m three worlds away from him and unaware of the fact he’s injured. It was best to just stay in Hollow Bastion, where healing could be offered immediately. Of course, convincing him to stay in Hollow Bastion, when Sephiroth went after everyone there very frequently, was hard…"

I also meant to have Tifa give her opinion on Sora's struggles with the darkness, but then Kairi was like NOPE and lead the conversation a different direction. Or maybe it was Tifa who lead it a different direction... one of them did...

"Not that this is a good example." Because it's not. Paralleling Kairi possibly saving Sora to Tifa only "helping" Cloud or whatever that was. I realized that after writing it down, but I was too lazy to come up with anything different, so... I just had Kairi be incapable of coming up with anything besides wanting to Save Sora, and so Tifa tries to compensate, then realizes "ohmygosh, did Kairi seriously just say that?!"

And Kairi wanted to say "I want his struggles to be over, and I will fight them for him if I have to," but I limited her to "banishing his darkness for him" because... too many side tangents. I didn't want to distract Tifa
that, and it's a bit EARLY for Kairi to be making such hasty declarations

No, this light summoning thing isn't really Holy or any similar attack. It's exactly as I describe it as. Of course, no one as yet complained about me doing this, but... on the off chance you do, here's the rant/explanation thing I typed in my notes:

"Why am I doing this? Because, well, why limit a character’s powers to the basic attacks you see in gameplay? Where’s the fun in that? I mean, really this was inspired by the “Burning Heart” story I read, and the one scene that immediately comes to mind is that Roxas had summoned a ball of light to him and was using it to light his way. BECAUSE WHY NOT!? I mean, seriously, why didn’t I think of things like this sooner? THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I’VE LOVED DOING MY ENTIRE LIFE! And, anyway, why can’t light do things like this? I certainly have darkness do similar things. Why should this be any different than Axel randomly lighting things on fire, or Vexen/one of his Replicas freezing someone to the ground and essentially immobilizing them? Why can’t light be epic like this, too? We see it in things like Roxas’s limit break, and it manifests in Ven’s Wingblade. WHY CAN’T KAIRI DO EPIC LIGHT THINGS, TOO, THAT AREN’T SPECIFICALLY LABELED HOLY? Sorry. I just had chocolate, and I’m in a rant-y mood, apparently. (And after typing Wingblade, I have the urge to play BBS. I can. But I’m writing… maybe I’ll start it up tomorrow. Though I do have that unfinished runthrough of TP I started, and I downloaded Super Mario RPG on the Wii through the virtual console and I REALLY should play that, because the Great Allie references it frequently, and… it’s not like I’m stuck, I just was at a stopping point and never got back to it (though if I’m really complaining about what the Great Allie references, then I REALLY should say I need to play Bowser’s Inside Story. But I’m stuck there. I forget if I’m still stuck somewhere inside Bowser’s stomach or not. I remember being stuck in some underground level with enemies that are way too powerful for me, but I believe that was in Partners in Time… and I’m rambling again. See, it’s the chocolate!))"

Lol, I wonder if one of these times I should just copy my notes entirely into a blog, and then sift through and explain a few unclear things, instead of incorporating my notes into a completely new blog
(Because my notes are written as I'm writing the thing. So... what better commentary is there?)

Oh, and then I wrote:
"Light is as good of a weapon as darkness is, after all."

So, according to my notes (though i do remember this) I was reading through some of magik’s stuff where Holy is used, as I was writing this, and in ch43 of Betwixt and Between, Kairi uses Holy on a large amount of Heartless, and Ven was like “THAT IS AWESOME!” and my first was reaction was to point at my screen (I did point at my screen) and say (think, technically) “Ven should know that” because he should learn Holy, and other such attacks. BECAUSE HE’S VEN.
*nods*

Lol
"Shut up, Cole, I don't need to capitalize 'light'"

but when I'm writing for him, I DO capitalize Light. lol, accidently typed "lighter"


Lol!! and then I wrote in my notes:
"So, I’m writing, and my cat’s on the couch next to me, and out of NOWHERE, she meows and starts attacking her own foot. Okay then. Cats are weird. And now she’s staring at me… I think she knows I’m talking about her…"

Also according to my notes, I said: "It has become apparent to me that I use the word 'grimace' very frequently."

Huh. I can't find that in the chapter... oh well

I'm just gonna copy this next bit from my notes:

I bet Tifa’s done this whole teaching thing for Kairi before. When, say, teaching Kairi magic. Or fighting. I bet, the first thing she taught Kairi, though, was Cure.

And then:

Pity we aren’t past the Heckuva Long Raid yet. It would’ve been fun to parallel Tifa teaching Kairi to… well. I can’t tell you. But it would’ve been fun.
AND WE'RE AT THE HECKUVA LONG RAID! I just... need to keep writing it... and make sure it flows properly. And other such stuff. And magik hasn't gotten back to me... I sent her an email last night...

Anyhoo

One more point I'd like to touch

As I was writing this, the whole summoning-light thing, I contemplated having a few Heartless show up in response to the light, to balance it out and all that, but I decided against it. Magik was putting something like that off until her Kairi (and Namine) got more powerful, so it seems unlikely that my Kairi would be able to do/cause something like that right off the bat.

Plus, there IS a difference between "light attacks" and "HOLYSHOOTTHAT'SALOTOFLIGHTYOU'RESUMMONINGHEARTLESSCALMDOWN!!"
*stares pointedly at Cole*

Now

Uhm.

That's it. That's it... Yeah. Gonna go... do something else with my life now, lol.

No comments: