Monday, November 28, 2016

ATR ch64 - In which there are no choices to be had here. (AND ALSO THERE'ES ART??)



Welp. Rest in pieces, Roxas.

...

HEYA FOLKS I HOPE YOU'RE AS HYPE FOR THIS AS I AM. I MEAN I REALIZE TERRIBLE THINGS ARE HAPPENING TECHNICALLY BUT. Boy I love where this is going so much.

- > tumblr version (should you desire a larger version for your viewing pleasure)

- > other FtPverse art I've done!!

- > all art I've done, in general

It's still "technically spoilers" what happened since it wasn't explicit but, [stares directly at you]. Everyone probably saw this coming after ch63.

We don't see any of the best bits of This Boy in this chapter ((and we won't, unfortunately, until chapter 68)) but I hope you'll trust me when I say he rules immensely and I love writing for him so so so so so much.

Here's his theme song, btw:


CHAPTER TIME



a link to that mood music playlist again

I'll have another post later featuring notes that I couldn't put up for chapter 63 (as well as some notes from ch59) and other, Roxas thoughts, but for now here's note specific to this chapter!

LET'S GO




This was actually the thing I was worried about, as far as my pacing for the end of Part 3 went. I'd intended to put this off until Part 4, but then I realized that without this, Xehanort's first major act would end up... setting the bar pretty low for him. I mean, not terribly low, but. It definitely didn't feel too great as his first major act.

So I hastily moved this here, but! because it was shoved here last minute, things had to be a lot more cramped than I'd initially wanted them. I think it turned out okay in the end, and that's all that matters, but like. I'd intended a different scene with 37 where Braig first found him and he and Xehanort threatened him into working with them, but it would have had to go like!! ten chapters ago!!! So I had to cut that scene, and make do with only the 37 scene from ch63.

Like, not a big deal, but I was worried about pacing.

And also worried about pacing of these two chapters right next to each other. This wasn't what I'd initially wanted ((I love the what's going to happen next-- WAIT THIS NEXT CHAPTER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CHARACTER I WANTED TO READ ABOUT kind of suspense but there just, wasn't room to carry that out)) either but. It worked out better than splitting them up, as far as the material I had left to cover before Part 3's endgame officially starts. (Hint: it's not a lot at all.)

BUT EVERYTHING WORKED OUT IN THE END AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS. YAY.


Anyway as far as interesting notes about this chapter actually go:

I really found my Xehanort voice, in writing this scene? I posted about it on tumblr, but like. I think me and other people are pressured to make him Super Serious but he’s NOT??? AT ALL?? Canon Xehanort is a HAM, and he TEASES and he JOKES. I mean it’s cruel jokes and junk and it’s not like he’s never serious but. think about the finger waggling and the smirks and basically all of his dialogue during his final battle w/ Terra. Think about young Nort and how he talks to Sora in 3D especially during TWTNW. THINK ABOUT HOW OLD XEHANORT SHOWS UP IN 3D AND HE’S LITERALLY LOUNGING IN HIS THRONE......

Nort is so confident in himself and his plans that it gives him room to kind of relax and that’s??? good. man. I love Xehanort. I feel like we really only ever see “serious evil” and “insane slasher sadistic evil” with nothing in between?? But Xehanort is nothing like that, surprisingly, amazingly, and that rules.

I just. The moment I stopped treating Xehanort as Serious is the moment I was able to like, find his voice. He’s not a serious villain. I mean you should take him fucking seriously or he’ll hand your ass to you on a silver platter and also turn you into a vessel but. He’s not serious.


I DIDN’T HAVE BRAIG IN THIS SCENE AT THE END INITIALLY!!!! But he definitely adds something to it??? Nort telling 37 “do this thing” is fine but it’s definitely more interesting with Braig there, because there are other dynamics at play, there are things I can bring up that Nort would not have said to 37 but would talk about w/ Braig so it’s More Interesting. 


Aaaaaaaand that's it!

I know it's not a lot, but I do have other thoughts (like I said) and I want them kind of all in one post. I'll post that... well!! Not tonight. Maybe tomorrow. Soon, though!! I have a lot to say about this boy.

No comments: