Tuesday, November 8, 2016

ATR ch62 - in which wait. hang on. are we back on?????? WE'RE BACK ON

EYYYYYYYYYYY WELCOME BACK TO YOUR SEMI-REGULARLY SCHEDULED ALL THAT REMAINS!!!!!

As a short: I'm in my last month of my first semester of college and Homework Is Rough, let alone finals prep, but hey!!! I'll try and update roughly every other week, folks. I'LL DO MY BEST!!!!!!!! GANBARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

And uh, I could do other updates but man like??? Just go back a couple posts on the blog I'd just be reiterating things like "follow me on Ao3" and "Kairi edits are done whoo" and "I've been drawing check it out"

CHAPTER TIME BUDDY LET'S GO

- chapter tag! -

- read it here!!! -

I wrote this one like??? 6+ months ago?? It was a very long time ago. Anyway overall I'm pretty happy with this chapter! A lot of things I Really Care About happened in it, so, I hope you enjoy.

Here's the rest of my notes




[SLAMS THROUGH YOUR FRONT DOOR] LISTEN LEON ISN’T LIKE 100% BITTER OVER LAGUNA ANYMORE HE’S MOSTLY OVER IT BUT 18 YEARS OF ABANDONMENT DOESN’T SO EASILY GO AWAY!!!! HE STILL HAS SLIGHT DADDY ISSUES!!!! ‘M SORRY!!!!! BUT ALSO NOT REALLY!!!!! Leon has never felt more real than now, when he is disagreeing with Sora and isn’t the moral highground and kind of hates Vexen because he sees Laguna in Vexen and........

I mean in general I've just fallen head over heels for my interpretations of Leon and Aerith in FtPverse, and how they're siblings, and who they are. Maybe it's not canon, but I love them dearly, and I think they're very good.

Another thing I love dearly is the parallel between Riku and Leon?? It's something that sort of just fell into place for me (like, uh, a lot of ftpverse things, I say, sweating profusely) but once I'd played FF8 I was able to better figure out Laguna's place within FtPverse (as well as decide Aerith and Leon were siblings lol, but that's super old news) and more importantly I was able to gauge out Leon's feelings Laguna and. They're good.

Like, FtP Leon is extremely better off than FF8's Squall, because Leon grew up in a place where he was truly loved, and while Squall was loved at the orphanage, he lost Ellone, and SeeD was a thing, and also he lost his memories, and overall turned into a teen who wasn't so great at dealing with emotions at all---and all this on top of abandonment issues....

FtP Leon is better off overall because Elmyra raised him well, but he still has his grievances with Laguna, and Laguna is a sore subject for him. 

It's hard to forgive someone who was never there for you, your entire life, even if you didn't necessarily need them to be there??

And that's the parallel between Riku and Leon.

Riku doesn't have 18 years of abandonment built up, but he does have a string of extremely terrible months under his belt, months in which Vexen was there but did nothing to help him. That's plenty.

I mean, Riku and Leon's situations are nowhere near the same, but they're similar enough. Similar enough, in fact, that Aerith and Leon both see a bit of Laguna in Vexen—a man who messed up real bad and wants to fix it but isn’t sure how, nor is he really in a place to.


Of course, I had this chapter planned before I even really realized there was a parallel going on between Riku and Leon, but it's significantly better now with this extra element added to it, and I'm so glad. 

No comments: