Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Nothing's Fair chapters 27-30 (Endgame part 2 and final notes)

Welcome to the end of Nothing's Fair!! I hope you enjoyed it!!

All that Remains will start uploading in a week or so, or, between March 24 and April 1, if you want dates.

I finished Majora's Mask, and it was really fun!! It's definitely in my top three favorite Zelda games, and might just be tied with Twilight Princess for top fave. I just really loved the vibes it was giving off, and stuff, and while I could babble about it here, you could also just go to my tumblr and hear me babble about it there.


Nothing's Fair Chapters

Chapter 27

Chapter 28

Chapter 29

Chapter 30

Addendum covering the Kairi/Xion/Namine scene

NFRW tag for this portion (page 12-13)


Nothing's Fair Soundtrack (again)



Here is the Nothing's Fair soundtrack, again, now that nothing is spoilers. Liner notes are here.

Chapter commentary


Chapter 27


I AM REALLY FEELING THIS ONE WOW THIS IS GOOD
ALL OF THEM JUST
ABSOLUTELY
SHREDDING AXEL TO BITS

I watched some of the kh2fm scenes to get in the mood and WOW Xaldin is RUTHLESS
The org as a dynamic is absolutely FASCINATING their scenes are real nice to sit thru in kh2fm you just…. gosh it’s so interesting


I didn’t want to word-for-word repeat the “I am willing to overlook any nicks or scratches so long as she functions” line from Days itself but GOSH that is a good line and it gives me chills every time (I just knew if I regurgitated it into a fic the most reaction it would get would be “oh reused line” because they don’t have the same impact in different context)


Chapter 28

I DID A HUGE OVERHAUL ON THE ENDING BEFORE DIVING INTO THIS ONE
Idk if I’ll go into detail about it
BUT I WAS JUST LIKE
NAH

I’m trying very VERY hard to make Axel’s intentions clear he does want the best for them but he's not sure how to get it and they aren’t cooperating and it INFURIATES him but he thinks he CAN’T be infuriated he thinks he’s in control of his own emotions which he is NOT because he’s growing a heart back and so IT ALL JUST BLOWS UP IN HIS FACE AND HE EXPLODES

Which
Tbh
Is the same thing that happened in Days itself

He’s just fighting Roxas this time around, not Xion

And I suppose if I want to be explicitly clear
He’s not necessarily wanting to do what’s best ~for them~
He wants to do what’s best ~for him~ he is selfish and he wants to keep them around for himself
((also: if this isn’t making sense, if him attacking Roxas isn’t making sense: please see Xion and Axel face off from Days, because that is near exactly what is going on here))

Dang I’m coming off really strong w/ the ~my life means nothing w/o Xion~ attitude I hate that attitude.
Wait I made it better
It’s still touching on the attitude but not as strongly. There is a difference between “nothing matters if she dies” and “he couldn’t afford to worry about anything else right now”. being worried about her safety is one thing—being entirely dependent on it is another


GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD THIS IS SO GOOOOOD

Listening to kh battle music while writing it probably helped

But it’s so good I’m loving it I’m loving the emotion I’m l o v i n g  it

AND ROXAS BEING LIKE “I AM NOT A TOOL I AM NOT A PUPPET I AM NOT LESS THAN A PERSON I AM!!! NOT!!! A TOOL!!! JUST BECAUSE I AM A REPLICA, AND I!! WILL NOT!! BE USED!!!”


Chapter 29

Roxas showing up at Kairi’s was kinda out of the blue I was considering Xion accidently going there and the only way I could have her go and it mean something was to have her stay until Roxas accidently showed up there and saw her

And, yanno, I figured that it couldn’t hurt anything for this to happen

Kairi and Namine should be involved anyway
(I can’t exactly vehemently advocate #kairineedslove2k15 if I don’t take any opportunity to include her in my own fic when it does not hamper the plot)


Chapter 30

Has no notes. In hindsight, though, I really like how I described Roxas using his limit. 


Chapter 31 / Addendum

This is where the full Kairi/Xion/Namine scene went, which, I mean, I probably don't have to say.

THIS STARTED because I was writing ch29 and Roxas pops up on Destiny Islands and he’s like “well I doubt Xion’s here” and then I was like BUT WHAT IF XION /IS/ THERE??? and I’d had back-burner thoughts about Roxas bumping into Kairi while looking for Xion which lead to Xion showing up in Kairi’s house

I actually redid the whole calendar with now-accurate NF related timing, just to make sure this would still happen during winter break

My explanation for Xion even showing up is ~residual Sora memories~ plus I mean she wasn't really thinking clearly at the time so a slip up like that is easier to make


Final Notes:

Uh, well, I suppose I should put it out there that the ending got an overhaul because it initially came off like Xion was committing suicide and while, that's, I mean.... kinda what did happen, it comes off a lot less strongly this way.

Honestly I was more afraid that I was romanticizing suicide more than anything else (Xion equating it to freedom, mainly, which she never did in this final draft) and I didn't... I didn't want to do that, you know? I don't want anyone getting the idea that suicide is the only way, or that it's a good idea, because, it's not, and there's always a reason to hold on.

Xion didn't quite feel like there was in the end, but also when we got to the end, her mind had deteriorated so far that it would not have mattered because she could hardly process any thoughts, let alone a "there's a reason to live" vs "no there isn't". ((And I'm fairly certain that at the end she did not fully realize, did not remember, that at one point she had given up on life.))

And I know Roxas dies in the end there, too, but he doesn't give up? He dies because he won't stop fighting, and while it's still a tragedy, it's not a suicide. He did not fight Saix thinking "this is going to get me killed, and that's what I want", he started a fight with Saix thinking "I want to see everyone in the Organization dead, I want to see Xion avenged" and he doesn't take into account how strong Saix actually is, and how far the battle would be pushed if he continued it. 


So..... yeah. 

I hope you enjoyed Nothing's Fair, etc.


No comments: