Monday, December 8, 2014

ATRch8 Commentary

Yello!!

If you haven't read the rewritten ch87 of Dead Inside yet, you might want to! It could clear a few things up.
((Then again this stuff has been brought up at least in passing in Dead Inside, but, still!!!))

I also posted a chapter to ASAS which covers Sora's return home--it's not immediately relevant to this chapter, but it's probably pretty interesting!!

Edit: This isn't important, but I forgot to mention that I got KH2.5 and am working my way through Birth By Sleep--I already finished Ven's story, and am starting Terra's now! If you'd like to read my blogging about it, the tag is rar plays bbsfm on my personal tumblr



I listened to this mix on near repeat while writing this scene--I can't promise it makes good music, but it is a really nice mix!! ((I also listened to it while writing Sora returning home))

Chapter time

read ATRch8

ATRch8 tag


I keep wanting to say this is the beginning of my favorite plotline, but I guess that's actually wrong! Sora's plotline has been in motion for the entirety of the book. Still, it's definitely my favorite, and I absolutely love this chapter, too.



IDK I’M REALLY EXCITED ABOUT SORA’S PARENTS BEING KINDA OLD??? Like it fits it really does they’re a little old fashioned a little more stable in the belief that This Is The Only World plus it just??? idk it really fits them

I mean I never exactly pictured Sora’s dad as extremely old—though likely he’s old of age but young of heart (though I wouldn’t be surprised if Sora’s mom was a few years older than him when it came down to it)

SEE LIKE NOW I’M PICTURING THEM AS A FRIEND OF MINE'S PARENTS AND THAT’S COOL BECAUSE LET ME TELL YOU I CAN POINT AT A FEW DIFFERENT CHARACTERS AND TELL YOU HOW THEY’RE SUBTLY BASED AFTER MY OWN

Pppllluuus the idea of Kairi’s dad being younger than them is really?? also accurate to his character he’s younger so like. he was younger when he had Kairi like PROBABLY still mid twenties but not much older and since he was young it was easier to get a little love struck from a pretty foreigner aaaaand a little easier for the relationship to fall apart because I mean. I hate to say they were young and stupid but honestly they were probably young and stupid


Sora’s parents however likely have been together for a long while and waited a while to have Sora they weren’t sure if they wanted a child wanted to be stable in their own relationship before rushing into being parents on top of it

Like.

Kairi's dad is late 30s

Sora's parents are early 50s


I wanted to put this on tumblr but I could not because spoilers

But this chapter makes me really emotional? It made me really emotional

Sora not telling his parents and then finally having to being forced too and just
I dunno
The thought of him sitting down in front of his parents and lowering himself and humbling himself as he speaks as he tells them where he's been
Lowering himself for forgiveness on one hand for staying out too late which is why they're mad at him (it wasn't entirely his fault time runs differently between worlds) but also because he hasn't told them and he shouldn't have put it off this long
It's making me really emotional

Partially because of like?? Japanese Culture Undertones not that I'm really trying to get into those and I might have them wrong


But it’s also making me emotional—this plotline as a whole does—because they don’t believe him and he goes into this with the fear that they won’t hoping they will lowers himself so far as if to prove this is not a lie I am being honest I am being so honest with you but they still don’t believe him in the end it’s just really upsetting Sora’s plotline makes me really upset

((It also is the one I'm most excited to carry out but that is for slightly different reasons))


For some reason I thought it’d been two weeks since Sora got back but?? No it’s only been one(ish)

AHH KAIRI’S BIRTHDAY HAPPENS TWO DAYS AWAY FROM THIS CHAPTER ISN’T THAT SOMETHING -- this chapter according to the Official Calendar happens May 2nd, and Kairi's birthday is May 4th. So.

I keep saying it’s been six months but that’s just an easier generalization why say five months (which it has been) when you can say six. six is a logical rounding point for months


And, like, this is what the ASAS chapter I wrote (ch77) touches, but I had the idea since writing this chapter:

Sora initially coming home after those six months and he waits a while before waking his parents trying to decide if he should wake them or if he’s gonna just flop down in bed let them find him in the morning and finally he figures he should be nice and wake them so he does
His mom fumbles for the lightswitch/bedside lamp to turn it on so she can see him and then it’s on and she does and the words where have you been die in her mouth when she sees the scar across his face

Sighs deeply


THE THING IS I DID NAME THEIR PARENTS BUT I NEVR ANTICICPATED USING THEIR NAMES OUTSIDE OF DIALOGUE REALLY,
Because for the most part in Sora’s POV (or Kairi’s POV) it’s gonna feel weird calling his parents anything other than “sora’s mom and dad” because he wouldn’t refer to them by name, y’know


And that's kinda it!! I mean I could sit here and talk about what their names mean but eh

I suppose as an interesting note: Haru's name was initially going to be Haruto--Haru means sun, while Haruto is reportedly a combination of sun and soar
(Which is kinda sky themes like Sora's name)

Buuut when it came to writing his name, Haruto didn't flow right, so I changed it to Haru instead

No comments: