Thursday, September 20, 2012

SoKai - Dead Inside

yes yes yes, I'm reuploading the SoKai blog. Lemme know if there are any other posts you'd like reuploaded!

I actually do have SoKai blogs planned for each book in the series. Not kidding. The Dead Inside one is the only one I've written so far, though, but I'm sure I'll get around to the Falling to Pieces one sometime, and then there's one for when they're kids, and I can't post the book 5 one until we get to book 5.


















(No who idea who drew this. Found through Google Images, then I edited the lighting slightly)

I know, this picture is the cover for Falling to Pieces (the official cover. The one on fanfic is just a space filler)

Theme: A Hero's Return (Separated by Darkness) - Two Steps from Hell

Song: Hymn for the Missing - Red


Anyway, I think the picture very clearly sums up SoKai throughout all of Dead Inside. Sora's struggling with the darkness, and Kairi's trying to pull him out, but he's just out of reach.

All he wants to do is make it up to her, though he thinks that doing so will be nearly impossible, if it will happen at all.

All she wants to do is find him, to tell him that it's all okay, that whatever he was worried about doesn't matter, that all that matters is the fact she forgives him - that she knows he messed up but isn't mad at him for it.

"Don't come closer, Kairi,You don't want to find me....I'm not the boy you want me to be."

He's scared to be found. Not only because of the chance she won't forgive him, but more strongly because of the fact that he doesn't want to hurt her again.


"I want him back. I want my knight back, I want my Sora back! I need him. I do not care what it takes to find him, I do not care what it takes to save him; I am not just going to sit back and let him destroy himself. It is not going to happen!"

She wants him back. She wants her Sora back. She wants things to go back the way they were. Where he was caught up in his fairytales and it was all she could do to keep up with him. And she's prepared to do whatever she has to do to get him back and keep him.


See, I'm covering this from his side and then her side because most of their relationship right now isn't them together. It's how they act while they're apart.

She's trying to find him.

He's trying to avoid her because he's afraid he will hurt her again.

Even though she wouldn't care.

But he doesn't know that.

That's why their theme took on the name "Separated by Darkness". Because, really, the darkness is the only thing keeping them apart.

And, random sort of side tangent here that I just now thought of: I know Sora being afraid to hurt Kairi is a very small reason as to why he's avoiding her - one that he could probably move himself past easily. But the darkness- oh what was that thing Endrance said? (and, yeah, I know he was referring to a sentient computer virus, but whatev)
"It takes your desires - whether they be good or bad - and amplifies them"
(well, that wasn't exactly what he said, but that's the basic idea)
The darkness takes Sora's want to avoiding hurting Kairi again - which isn't a bad thing to want at all - and warps it so that the thinks the only way to avoid hurting her is to just avoid her completely.

And then, Agrabah--
If the darkness wasn't in the way, Kairi would've found Sora. All she had to do was tell him that she forgave him (which if he had managed to ask about that second chance, it would've been the next thing she said).
But Maleficent was there.
And she ruined everything.


Now, I'm sure I could go on like this using only examples from the fic, but I'm pretty sure I've summed up everything important. So... we're going to move onto the next portion of this blog in which I look at the song I chose.


Which, wondering why I chose "Hymn for the Missing" over my like, twenty other SoKai song choices?
Well, "Hym for the Missing" not only covers both their POVs (unlike pretty much every other song) but the tone of the song fits the "separated by darkness" theme that SoKai has going.


(Apologies, I'm going to do a sort of breakdown again, but it's more... thorough this time)

I tried to walk together, but the night was growing dark
Thought you were beside me
But I reached and you were gone

I gave this verse to Sora, but looking at it now, Kairi's speaking-- no.... Sora. Sora keeps it. Sora tries to stay with her, but he's being pulled away by the darkness. He thought that she'd be with him, but the darkness has pulled him so far away that he can't reach her anymore
Which, honestly, sums up FtP

Sometimes I hear you calling from some lost and distant shore
I hear you crying softly for the way it was before

This line hit me JUST now as I was listening to it. It's Sora still. I'm not entirely sure what the first line implies, because I know it's not literal. He thinks he hears her? Or maybe it is literal, and he actually hears her (which, I suppose if you're floating in the Realm of Darkness-- would it be possible to hear whispers from the Realm of Light? Something worth exploring....) He dreams about her, maybe. He hopes that she's calling for him--
He can hear her crying for the way things were. THAT is what hit me just now. Because she wants him back; she wants back the clueless boy that he used to be, the boy that -- oh Kairi don't make me say this -- that she originally fell in love with.
(please don't let that bite me in the-- oh wait a minute, this isn't Namiku!)

Where are you now? Are you lost?
Will I find you again?Are you alone? Are you afraid?

She knows he's out there, somewhere. She wants him safe. She knows that he's struggling with the darkness - that he's "lost" - but she wants him to find his way again and hopes that it will lead him back to her (and now I'm practically quoting Avatar). She wants to find him, comfort him, tell him that it's okay, help him get through his fears--

Are you searching for me?

He dares to hope.

Why did you go?

She wants to know why he left. Why did he leave her? Why didn't he come back? Why won't he apologize, why won't he let everything be okay, why is he running?

I had to stay

Away from her, so that he wouldn't hurt her.

Now I'm reaching for you--Will you wait? Will you wait?

This is where Agrabah hits home. He realizes that he needs to be saved; that her forgiveness is really all he craves. But he's reaching and again the darkness is pulling him away.
He wants her to wait for him.
He's begging her to wait until he can break free.
Because even if the darkness is trying to smother him, make him forget, he's determined to fight it -- he's determined to get to her again. He knows what he needs now, and he's ready to fight for it.
He realizes now that Kairi is the only one who matters to him. That it doesn't matter if everyone else hated him, so long as she forgave him--
And he has hope.
A very faint hope that the darkness is trying desperately to extinguish.
But he has hope.

I'm going to wrap this up with one last line from "Hymn for the Missing"

Will I see you again?

I think I originally pegged that to Sora, but now I know that it's both of them. Both of them wondering, hoping, that the battle isn't over, that their separate ways will someday cross again and from there never part.

And that's where I'll stop. Because that's all there is right now.
Kairi wants him back.
He knows he needs her forgiveness, no matter how scared he is to get it.
Kairi's prepared to fight for him.
He's determined to break free from the darkness' hold.
But neither of them are certain that they'll see each other again.
Even though they want to so bad.

No comments: