Friday, July 25, 2014

Totally (not) serious SoShad mix

I kept forgetttttttting to do this poooossssstttt ugh

but




I made a totally not serious mix for SoShad. I'm not sorry in the slightest.

image credit /// post credit 

THIS PROBABLY,,, WON'T MAKE,,,, A LOT OF SENSE IF YOU HAVEN'T READ CH231 so why don't you go do that here

But we're here to go.... in depth.... about all the songs because I got a lot out on it and felt like it should go over here too (initial post from the ftpverse tumblr)

I actually tend to do this for all playlists--or 2/3 playlists and these can all be found on the ftpverse tumblr under the playlists tag




1 - Bitter Rivals (Sleigh Bells)
"You are my bitter rival, but I need you for survival"

need I?? Say?? Any more??

2 - True Love (P!nk)
Idk as a joke I was like “what if this song was SoShad” which is what most of these songs are though this is one of my favorites because it’s so. Hilarious. In the context of the two of them

Like it’s a hilarious song in general and I think you could peg it to any not-quite-a-ship or just any pairing I guess (specifically antag/protag pairings) and just laugh because “I wanna hug you, I wanna wrap my hands around your neck. You’re an asshole, but I love you.”

3 - All to Myself (Marianas Trench)
This is actually really really really Shad in general like the one line I’ll quote from it is “I don’t wanna be the bad guy” but that’s not even the whole point of the song that’s just a lyric that fits

But I mean “I can’t suck it up I want you all to myself”. It’s. If we take this mix seriously then this is Shad realizing he really really wants Sora and. It’s. Yeah. Yeah.

4 - Afraid (the Neighbourhood)
This song kinda doesn't quite belong in the mix?? Maybe?? I can list quite a few other characters who it fits better. I mean. There is the chorus. The whole: “I don’t like you fuck you anyway” and then “It hurts but I won’t fight you”
That's what's relevant

I MEAN IF WE WANNA GO DEEP ABOUT IT there's the "I'm afraid somebody's gonna take my place" and that definitely fits a lot of other characters better but in this context it's Shad worried about what would happen if he gave up what if the sent someone else after Sora what if that person actually managed to do their job and that? That terrifies him.

5 - What You Wanted (acoustic) (OneRepublic)
This was another of the songs that I jokingly thought of for SoShad and then couldn't unsee.

AAnnyyyway “I’d kill for you I’d do anything for you if that’s what you wanted" and it’s. Shad to Sora. About him being bound sorta
This is actually incredibly AU?? For the most part these songs can be taken as canon and maayyybe this one could be but it focuses more on AU stuff where he survives Dead Inside and then his Binding to Sora is incredibly strong and he ends up just habitually doing what Sora asks without questioning it

It’s sort of what a Binding would do to you—Binding’s compel you to do what is asked of you and make it very hard to refuse.

So I guess that’s what this song is about regardless of not being canon
AND IT'S NOT QUITE CANON because while I kinda hinted at Shad being Bound to Sora and perhaps he is but honestly him being Bound was there as an escape route so if I chickened out of saying Shad loved Sora I could have something to fall back on that still ended in that battle and his death

(That battle had actually been planned to happen exactly like that since the beginning--it was just the reasons why Shad wanted to die that kept changing.)

6 - Mozaik Role (Gumi) (Sabi piano cover)
You can see Sabi's cover on youtube here

I went for this version largely because the original is extremely upbeat and while there's nothing wrong with that (Mozaik Role is actually one of my favorite songs) it just doesn't fit the tone of this mix
(Also I thought of Sabi's cover first thing for this mix I didn't even consider putting in the original)

This one is a little out of place because the lyrics actually read as “we were trying to force a relationship but really we aren’t in love anymore this needs to stop”
But it’s these translyrics (which are singable but not a 100% accurate translation) that I always think of for this song and you can interpret them more like
"This relationship could never work we need to not" which is how I’m interpreting them for this mix and it actually flows really well in terms of like the story of this mix and stuff. Because the first half is all “so if this was a real relationship” and then the second half of the mix is "no this is what it really looks like and it's absolutely painful"
(Bitter Rivals isn’t an if tho it’s canon -- actually so is All to Myself)
Also the PV is really great and has always made me think of Sora and Shad even tho the lyrics never have until now haha. ha. AND THE PV IS REALLY FITTING FOR THE TWO OF THEM TOO IT’S REALLY. REALLY. REALLY GREAT.

like-- here's the PV with the translyrics for your viewing pleasure




7 - Diary of Jane (acoustic) (Breaking Benjamin)


I initially pitched this as shadkai which you probably all remember but I looked at the lyrics again and. SoShad.

a lot of that comes from the fact Shad was initially going to fall for Kairi but then he fell for Sora and. and since that’s what spurred him to “swap sides” the song’s context and meaning kinda flipped around yanno??

a snippet from the song breakdown I’ll probably post for this though:
“Try and find out what makes you tick”
Shad going about his usual job
pissing Sora off
“As I lie down, sore and sick”
but he hates it he’s tired of it he’s tired of treating Sora like this tired of the fact that treating Sora like this make him feel queasey ahhhhhhhhhhhh

also I went with the acoustic version because tone ‘n stuff. I mean the original is cocky and has a lot of shaditude but the acoustic is more fitting for the mix and the circumstances

8 - Smother (Daughter)
So we've now officially transitioned into the angst/"this is what the relationship really looks like and it hurts" section of the mix

I don't actually have anything deep to say about this song. I just wanted a Daughter song in this mix and my other thought was Landfill but I used that one in the ShadKai mix
("I want you so much, but I hate your guts" is why I considered Landfill)

Smother has the one line "I want him but we're not right" and that's probably why I went for it. I dunno.

On another note, Human by the same artist also sorta reminds me of Shad--"somewhere inside me there's a human"

9 - I Hate Everything About You (Three Days Grace)
I found this song on pure accident after the mix had been finalized—one of magik’s friends was playing it and all I had to hear was “I hate everything about you. Why do I love you?” and I was just. stop the presses. SoShad.

There's not even anything else to say about this song it's like Bitter Rivals it's obvious why it's in the mix.

10 - Dear Agony (Breaking Benjamin)
MAGIK SUGGESTED THIS TO ME AGES AGO. FOR SHADKAI. And I was scrambling for songs for this mix and I stumbled on this one again and remembered that this one was ShadKai and there were a lot of songs pitched as ShadKai which are actually SoShad (like Diary of Jane and sorta like Landfill)

but

"Is this the way it’s gotta be?"

It’s so painful to be this way to love Sora to be this to be so disgusting it’s. Ow. There it is. Yup there’s the angst. I hurt so much.

11 - Props & Mayhem (Pierce the Veil)
ughghghghg this is like my favorite song for this mix (besides maybe I Hate Everything About You) I love Pierce the Veil so much and if I ever need angry angsty SoShad feels they're the band I go to hhhhhhh I love this band so much I really do

And since it makes me think so much about SoShad I like,,, needed to find a song of theirs to put in this mix regardless of not having anything come to mind immediately

This one has a bunch of vague lyrics that like?? It makes me think of the SoShad battle. It makes me think of the battle even though I'm pretty sure the song's about a party. But I relate it so much to SoShad. And this battle.

Ooohhh like if I ever need SoShad feels this song is usually where I go to get my fix (though King for a Day--also by Pierce the Veil--is the other one I'd go to)

Here's a list of lyrics that I use as a tag for this song:
  • "Sometimes I love the way you swing the blade at everything in sight"
  • "Come at me with everything you’ve got"
  • "I can’t save the world from creatures that can’t die"
And the last one's really painful because. Guess who couldn't die. Or thought he couldn't die. hmmm.

Though, honestly, with lines like "I love the way you swing the blade at everything in sight" and "come at me with everything you've got" it's kinda no surprise it makes me think of the battle

also the “I’m gonna light up this place and explode into beautiful stars” line. It makes me think of the end. Shad dying. I need to lie down.

Here's a link to King for a Day, while I'm at it. It doesn't go in this mix but it does make me think so so much about this battle and these chapters
("You told me to think about it and I did. I don't wanna feel a thing anymore". 
Sora asked him if he really needed to die, if it really was the answer, and Shad replied with he couldn't do this anymore. He didn't want to feel like this anymore. He didn't want to feel ANYTHING anymore.)

No comments: